The best of times

Lee Anne
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." True of the time Dickens was writing about and true of where the Transgender movement finds itself today.
Trans over the age of 30 are probably the last generation to have the majority of its members transition after puberty. More and more young people are getting the help they deserve and will blend seamlessly into a society that has come to accept them. Or will they?
The right has almost certainly lost the battle over marriage equality and has now turned their sights on us. Draconian laws are being proposed in many state houses that seek to drive us back into the shadows.
Action will be needed to defend ourselves from this attack. We must increase our visibility and our activism. Fifty years ago Marsha and Sylvia began the movement and the past 10 years have seen remarkable progress. Let us vow not to take any steps back and to continue to march forward with our heads held high.

Re: The best of times

TransMusePlanet
Administrator
I agree, visibility will play a huge role in our quest for equality. I believe our biggest negative will be ourselves. As you stated, more younger transgender people transition more seamlessly into society, will that translate into them more eager to just "blend" or will they continue to pursue visibility. This is way it may be a difficult decision for most and for those who think they are done with transitioning an no longer need to associate with transgender, to think twice about this and consider visibility if at all possible. It will be up to us now, in this 'genderation' to set an example of self love, acceptance and appreciation for actually being trans. I talk more about this very subject on a new blog post coming out tonight. Continuing my 'Defining who we are series" Is Transgender Unity Under Siege From Within? Let me know what you think Lee Ann

Re: The best of times

Amy Garbati
The blending of society may not be such a bad thing in the long term.  If young people are born transgender and it is simply considered a condition to be treated and is not stigmatized then being transgender would neither be something to embrace nor something to despise, it would simply be something to treat.  It is the visible trans community that by refusing to live in the shadows and refusing to be treated as second class citizens, will move society to a place where being transgender is inconsequential.

Re: The best of times

TransMusePlanet
Administrator
That day, Amy, is something I hope and pray I live to see.